Thursday, March 26, 2015 from 8:00 AM to 6:30 PM (CDT)
Morningstar, Inc. – 22 West Washington Street, Chicago, IL 60602
For over 10 years, the Chicago AMA’s BrandSmart Conference has been the Midwest’s leading forum on branding thought leadership for over 10 years. The future is arriving faster than ever and creating multiple challenges for marketers. As in design and innovation, future proofing gives marketers the tools and insights needed to prepare for and embrace the headwinds of change.
BrandSmart 2015: Constructing Tomorrow’s Brand, Today will build on three key pillars:
- Consumer Engagement: How to ensure your consumers are ENGAGED and you know what it takes to ENGAGE with them
- Brand Relevance: How to ensure your brand is RELEVANT… to all your keystakeholders
- Organizational Readiness: How to READY your organization for the future, building an agile strategy that allows you to adjust to the ever-changing landscape
Fisher Nuts, John B. Sanfilippo & Son
Blue Chip Marketing Worldwide
8:00 - 9:00 AM - Registration, Breakfast and Networking
8:20 - 8:50 AM - Coffee Talk - 4 Pillars to Designing a Killer Consumer Experience
This is a limited attendance session. More details to follow in admission.
4 Pillars to Designing a Killer Consumer Experience
Paul Fitzpatrick, Director of Business Development and Marketing, All Terrain
Today’s brands are having an increasingly difficult time attracting the attention of consumers. There is a disconnect between brands and consumers due to the interruptive marketing tactics still prevalent along with the shorter attention spans of the consumers. In this presentation, Paul Fitzpatrick, Director of Business Development and Marketing for All Terrain, will detail his four pillars that are essential when creating a powerful consumer experience where consumers will enjoy a relevant, meaningful engagement with brands and brands will gain vocal advocates and loyal customers.
9:00 - 9:45 AM - Building Relentlessly Relevant Brands
Building Relentlessly Relevant Brands
– Scott Davis, Chief Growth Officer, Prophet
We live in an era of persistent change and rising customer expectations. Brands that rise to the top are those that have found a way to be relevant in a world of continuous change. In this speech by Scott Davis, Chief Growth Officer at Prophet, he’ll discuss brands that are relentlessly relevant – those who position themselves with a commitment to meet customers on their own terms, push competitors out of consideration and redefine entire categories—all while being authentic.
Scott will outline four attributes that separate those that are building enduring, relentlessly relevant brands from those that aren’t. He’ll discuss the role of building a relevant brand in a digital world and how to ensure you’re creating meaningful, connected and engaging experiences with customers.
9:45 - 10:15 AM - Cross Platform Brand Engagement – a Lesson in Mayhem
Cross Platform Brand Engagement – a Lesson in Mayhem
– Pam Hollander, Vice President of Integrated Marketing Communications, Allstate
Key Takeaway: Mayhem is Everywhere – on TV, Facebook, Twitter, etc. But when you combine all of these mediums behind a single campaign – the results are amazing.
• Start with a key consumer insight
• Create content relevant to each platform
• Leverage an “ ownable” opportunity
• Make people wonder – ‘are they really doing this?’
Interview with Pam:
10:15 - 10:45 AM - The Pathway to Brand Relevance
The Pathway to Brand Relevance
Susan Fleming, Vice President of Marketing and Communications, Catamaran
- How to effectively pay off your brand promise
- How to reach influencers
- How to drive the brand story and
- How to ensure relevancy
11:15 AM - 12:00 PM - Transforming The Fisher Nuts Brand
Transforming The Fisher Nuts Brand
– Howard Brandeisky, Senior Vice President, Global Marketing & Customer Solutions, John B. Sanfilippo & Son
– Larry Deutsch, Executive Vice President & General Manager, Brand Marketing, Blue Chip Marketing Worldwide
The Fisher Nuts brand has been transformed from a commoditized brand to a category leader. This transformation has been a marketing success story that started with leadership vision and organization alignment within John B. Sanfilippo & Son to evolve from being private label brand company to a consumer brand company. The result is a record-breaking, award winning, fully integrated marketing campaign that has differentiated the Fisher brand, engaged consumers across paid, earned and owned media, and inspired new product development and innovation.
- The transformational power of moving from a private label brand company to consumer brand company
- How to differentiate a brand in a commoditized category
- How a bias for content can fuel integrated marketing communications
- How to win and grow when your budget has one less zero and comma
Check out insights into this presentation with our BrandSmart 2015 preview video:
12:00 - 12:30 PM - Deloitte Brand Positioning to Support Growth
Deloitte Brand Positioning to Support Growth
John Keller, Director of Brand and Eminence, Deloitte
- How Deloitte uses brand perception research to identify opportunities to align with buyer needs
- How we position our diverse businesses in a distinct, but complementary, manner
- Strategies for overcoming a legacy reputation as a Big 4 audit firm to support the growth of our advisory services
12:30 - 1:00 PM - Keys to Success: Creating a Rock Star Cause Marketing Platform
Keys to Success: Creating a Rock Star Cause Marketing Platform
Jenni Luke, CEO, Step Up
1) Why Cause Works: proving the business case to your brand’s key decision makers.
2) What to Care About: identifying your philanthropic focus for maximum impact and long-term success
3) Who’s With Us: choosing the right partners for your brand
4) How to be a Hero: becoming a brand nonprofits want to work by avoiding the top-4 cringe-worthy behaviors!
2:00 - 3:00 PM Branding Roundtable: Collaborating for Relevance
Branding Roundtable: Collaborating for Relevance
Chuck Kent, moderator of Branding Magazine’s monthly Branding Roundtable, will lead client/agency teams in a discussion of the kind of collaboration it takes to maintain and leverage brand relevance. Attendees will learn, from real world examples:
- How relevance is defined now – beyond the buzzword – as a practical, daily pursuit
- The best ways to stay abreast – and even ahead – of customers needs and desires
- How agencies and clients can best work together to integrate the people, skills and departments required to create and deliver a relevant, total brand experience.
There will also be time for questions.
Chief Marketing Officer, Corporate Marketing
Founder & CEO
Chief Marketing and Engagement Officer
Kellogg School of Management
Chief Growth Officer
3:00 - 3:30 PM - Bridging to Change
Bridging to Change
Heidi Petz, Vice President, Marketing, Valspar
- Preparing the organization to build and evolve a meaningful consumer brand starts with an idea. Every idea needs a champion…you.
- Start with the end in mind – what time horizon are you planning for? What needs to be true when you arrive? Every step along the way is an intentional piece of the bridge.
- The hard stuff…
- Understand the inflection points that mark the story of your brand, and company…learn to anticipate the next one
- Readying yourself…put on your sales hat and stretch your muscles
- Readying your team and key supporters…enlistment takes times time, patience and big ears
- Declare your intentions, and then declare your intentions again
- The harder stuff…
- Assessing the team, capabilities and gaps…making tough calls
- Creating the right processing, tools, visibility and accountabilities…and leading by example
- The really really hard stuff..
- Taking the first step – and there will be risks, there will be non-believers
- Sticking to your guns, the consummate champion
4:00 - 4:30 PM - Mission-Driven Customer Experience Design. Marketing is the Least of Your Worries
Mission-Driven Customer Experience Design. Marketing is the Least of Your Worries
Lisa Roundtree, Vice President, Marketing Strategy and Customer Experience, Capital One
Real world lessons from the trenches with Lisa Rountree, an experienced brand strategy executive whose 15+ year career has spanned world-class brands operating at very different places along the mission maturity curve. Drawing on her experiences at Disney, The Hershey Company and Capital One, Lisa will cover the often overlooked change management, tools and infrastructure needed to make your shift “stick”
4:30 - 5:00 PM - Building Brands One Conversation at a Time
Building Brands One Conversation at a Time
Andrea Javor, Senior Director Global Digital and Media, Beam Suntory
In today’s world where deeply emotional consumer sentiment can be harnessed for brand equity, Beam Suntory has focused on building 1:1 engagement with consumers. Leveraging these singular conversations requires new thinking which is reflected in two recent initiatives. Their “Social Care” approach has merged customer care with marketing and put consistent, relevant, timely dialogue at the center of a channel-agnostic marketing strategy. And the successful “Opinions Welcome” campaign for their single malt scotch brand Laphroaig demonstrates the benefits of embracing all consumer feedback, both the good and the bad.
Check out the video interview with Andrea:
5:00 - 5:30 PM - Branding From the Inside Out
Branding from the Inside Out:
How (and why) TransUnion launched its new brand primarily with its employees
– Julie Springer, Chief Marketing Officer, Corporate Marketing, TransUnion
-Why internal branding is key to successfully changing external brand perceptions
-How to reignite passion in your employees and why this is so important
-How to engage your employees to deliver a better brand experience